If you are Flipgrid fan, chances are you may have heard rumblings about #FlipgridAR. This is another one of those edtech unveilings that happen around ISTE time. But many people do not quite know what AR is! Here is a quick differentiation:
VR (Virtual Reality) is when you immerse yourself or your students into a totally different world – you get ‘transported’ elsewhere, such as floating among planets in outer space.
AR (Augmented Reality) is when you bring an ‘augmentation’, an ‘other, into your existing reality, such as bringing the Solar System into your classroom.
So, Fligrid AR essentially flips an existing Flipgrid video into your world. When you try this out, it is important that you access the QR code to a specific video, not just the topic or the grid. If you use the QR code for the grid, you just get the grid on your phone or iPad like you normally would.
Here are some places or occasions where Flipgrid AR would be super cool:
- to accompany favourite book choices or perhaps attached to a book cover
- a teacher welcome message outside their classroom or at a Welcome Night
- explanations of student artwork
- teacher explanations for centers – including in the gym or weight room!
- Flipgird AR stickers for instructions or reviews on Maker Space materials
- ….of course, the possibilities will be endless
Thanks, Flipgrid, for another cool way to use your tool!